Friday, February 8, 2013

Bicycling Magazine Reader's Choice

I don't really have anything to report regarding recent rides. I've borrowed a Mukluk a couple of times for rides on Skalkaho  You can check out the Red Barn blog for some winter riding porn.  I don't have anything snarky to say about Armstrong. Well I do, but I'll don't feel like writing about him. Instead I have some comments of the 2013 Bicycling Magazine Reader's Choice Survey.  I can't find an online link.  No doubt everyone is wondering why I'm even reading that magazine. Well it came free with my IMBA membership a few years back, and it won't stop showing up in my mailbox, and I have found it to be decent for flipping through while seated on the morning throne contemplating the universe and the meaning of life,

Reading this survey illuminated for me the difference between roadies (or at least roadie wannabes) and dirtbags.

68% confessed to bonking.  What's wrong with the other 32%?  I can't remember how many times I've bonked, but I still have nightmares about the last 10 miles of the Butte 50.

35% have lied about the cost of their bikes to their partner.  I don't have that problem currently, but in the past I think I might have mentioned the cost of a frame. If she interpreted that to be the cost of the whole bike, it's not my fault that she doesn't understand the difference.

31% have partaken in a mid ride beer.  I guess being a roadie just isn't as much fun.

4% had sex during a bike ride.   My memory is a little fuzzy, but there might have been that time after  mid ride beers.

17% would ride naked if they could.  Only for the Chicken Crit.

49% preferred climbing. Only 18% preferred going downhill.   I'm speechless.  WTF

Their favorite bike brands:  Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, Giant, Fuji.
The bitterroot's favorite brands: Turner, Ventana, Knolly, Ibis, Yeti.  Maybe Surley and Salsa in the winter.

The rides they dream of doing: a century, a gran fondo, RAGBRAI (The Register’s Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa), Ironman tri, Leadville 100.
Us:  Ratpod, Butte 50,  Fitzbarn (Red Gerald), Fernie, Moab

Their favorite post ride treats: smoothie, sandwich, fruit, burger, pizza
Bitterroot: Beer, brats, elk, antelope, beer

29% believe that shaving their legs is a sign of their dedication.  I can think a lot of reasons to shave your legs: you are already shaving your chest, the hairs act like velcro when you wear corduroy, your partner is getting rug burns, or your name is Jeremy Justin Bieber. If someone is shaving to show their dedication, they might as well get a knuckle tattoo spelling out Poseur.

No comments:

Post a Comment